Shopping for gifts can always be a challenge and especially when you leave it to the last minute. Then to add a little bit of mayhem to the mix add a dash of crazy festive shoppers, packed malls and the need to buy a gift that is thoughtful but also lives up to our ethical and sustainable beliefs. This can be a recipe for total disaster.
A couple of months ago on one of my rare excursions to the mall I came across the pop shop of one of my firm favourite beauty stores, Rain. When the need called I decided that Rain would be my go to place to buy a gift for some one very precious to us, our mother. Hopefully she is not reading this post right now. 🙂 (I will just live in the delusion that she does not know how to operate any mobile devise)
Stepping into the tranquil environment simply melted all the shopping anxiety away. The calm and soothing colours of their various ranges and the refreshing smell of their handmade, fair-trade beauty products coupled with the wonderful help of the sales assistants made the shopping experience really harmonious.
Having discovered Rain Africa many years ago, Katie and instantly fell in love with their body products. This was many years before we had even cared about where our purchases came from, who made them or whether they were even healthy to use. What we fell in love with was the design, the ranges they had, their bath salts and fizz balls. The list is endless, we loved the design, the packaging, so to later find out that their products are fully fair trade certified was an added bonus and off course a relief that yes they stood for what we now believed in.
“We create handmade bath & body products and hand crafted home ware using natural ingredients with African origins.
Rain products are responsibly handmade with love and care for our customers, craftspeople and the environment.”
All their products have no, parabens, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, liquid paraffin, and petro chemicals. They also certainly don’t do any animal testing and no child labour.
They make a number of promises to their consumers
1) Organically African. Their african botanicals are sustainably harvested in the wild by knowledgeable local women and blended with locally-grown natural ingredients to create luxuriously soft, delicately fragranced bath and body treats and treatments which deliver tangible results.
2) Personal care ethos. Their products are produced to benefit your skins, while caring for the well being of all people involved in crafting Rain products and caring for our planet.
3) People centre. The reason Rain came into existence was to provide jobs, skills and hope to people living in desperate poverty, particularly women and the disabled. They are the only Southern African beauty and body product company which is accredited by both Fair Trade in Africa and the international Fair Trade body in Europe.
4) Nature Friendly. Before any product reaches their shelves, it is not only tested for efficacy and safety, but subjected to a strict environmental audit. The all-natural ingredients they use are harmless to the environment (and your skin), unlike the synthetic chemicals used by industrial manufacturers.
5) Cruelty free. Their Beauty Without Cruelty accreditation is your guarantee that no Rain product or any of its ingredients has been tested on animals. They test their products on themselves!
So really as you can see there are no reasons as to why you shouldn’t buy from them, the only challenge is deciding what to choose. We opted for some artisans soaps which are handmade and individually signed by the maker. Also their lavender bath salts and their magic butter balls that can soothe any aches and pains away in a matter minutes. And we have had our eyes on their Luxurious silk ecru bath mat. Stepping out of the bath and sinking your toes into the plush thick mat is simply heaven.
If you are looking for a gift that will not only bring joy to the person receiving the gift but one that you know empowers the artisans, is environmentally friendly and makes a real difference to communities you really should consider getting a gift from Rain. Whether it’s for someone special or for you we promise you won’t be disappointed. Check out their website here to find their stores. They currently have stores in South Africa and new york but you purchase they products online.
Happy ethical festive shopping folks.
Enjoyed what you just read? Share this post with your friends and spread the word about our journey towards ethical and sustainable fashion and lifestyle via our twitter, instagram and facebook accounts! Even better, sign up to our newsletter so you never miss a thing!
Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, lots of love, the Saiint Sisters xxx